Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Good Times Now and Ahead!

Did you notice that I changed the name of my blog? The name came to me because I truly believe that is what this tool is. It is a chance for you, the parent, to be a fly on your child's classroom wall. I am trying extremely hard to communicate their happenings in text and film. I truly appreciate all the positive feedback I am getting about how you love it!!

This Friday there is a FREE family fun night. Mr. Ness and PTA has created a night of fun for the entire family. We are talking disco-bowling, volleyball, hula hoops, scoops, fox-tails, jump ropes all over the school! When was the last time you hula hooped? And, I promise I will be there with my camera to catch the footage to share with all!!!! :0) I see big laughs and memories being made. There will also be a bake sale to support our Kindergarten classes. But that is not all, rumor has it the Crime Stoppers Dog will be on site. Is your child's bike registered? Do you have a kid ID package filled out? This is the night to get all this taken care of! Hope to see all of you there, and yes this is worth the $500 free dollars for your child if you come spend some quality time TOGETHER! Kids will not earn money if they come with a friend or by themselves, hense the Family Fun Night!

I gotta tell you I loved reading most of the journal entries that came back from last night. You have some pretty creative scientists! Two of my favorites were the poisonous new bug species that is going to be discovered by Miss. Natalie and the meals in a pill discovered by Miss. Abby! Fun reads and I can't wait to read the rest. I hope that you are having them read aloud to you too so you can enjoy the stories.

Math change! You might have noticed I am not having the kids keep their quizzes in their notebooks anymore. So, two quizzes should have come home today for your review. Now, that it is quarter 2 the math redos are also going away. By the time a child takes a quiz I have done at least three examples in the teaching lesson, they have done at least 5-10 practice problems with my help if they choose or on their own, seen all of those problems worked out together step-by-step in class the next day, and asked if they have any questions or want to see more examples of any concepts. So, I now believe that students should know the concept on the quiz and when they turn in their quiz it is the best they can do. I will continue to go over D and F quizzes with students either whole group or individually, but they will not get the opportunity to redo a quiz. You may want to go over any problems that come home that are marked incorrectly as well. Or, make up some similar problems to further their understanding. Tomorrow, you will see their Expanded Form quiz come home. This was an extremely difficult concept so I graded them but did NOT record the grade. We will be going over the entire quiz tomorrow as well.

Friday we will be taking a bus to Burlington School on the West End. We have been reading the book Owls in the Family together. Now that we have finished the book, we are going to have a wrap up day with tons of owl activities! Students will need to pay $1000 fake dollars to attend this trip. Read 180 and Language Kids will also be invited to go with us. We will be gone the entire day. Students that can't afford to go will have an alternative placement for the day. I will be gone this Thursday so I will be collecting the money tomorrow from the students. We are having free pizza and pop that day so students do NOT need to pack a lunch on Friday. Fun!!

I believe that is all for tonight. Have a good one!


No comments:

Post a Comment